Current Guidelines for Psoriasis Treatment: A Work in Progress
Psoriasis is a skin-related autoimmune disease. A person with psoriasis develops red patchy plagues on the skin, and new skin develops at a faster rate than usual and piles one above the other. Psoriasis can be mild or severe and is categorized as local or general depending on the severity, and its effects on an individual.
- With research and evolving therapies, there are guidelines in par with global standards in treatment and managing the disease. These guidelines are followed not only by doctors seeing patients with psoriasis and also by doctors practising multiple sclerosis treatment in Pune.
What is the importance of current guidelines for Psoriasis treatments?
The guidelines provide a reference for not only to doctors, health insurance policymakers and patients in understanding the disease and take effective measures.It abreast the insurance health companies current prevailing information helping in formulating robust health insurance policies for psoriasis patients. Patients are well-informed to cope the conditionsthereby, helping them live a better life.
As Psoriasis is complex, a patient might be undergoing related conditions or more than one autoimmune disease treatment. Example: Patients undergoing multiple sclerosis treatment in Pune might also be seeking treatment for psoriasis. Individual patient preferences, the severity of the condition, and multiple health conditions are taken into consideration while developing these guidelines.
There are certain standards grading system laid down to understand the severity of the disease. These are BSA(body surface area), and PASI (Psoriasis Area and severity index to get an idea of the area, patch, and redness). While mild psoriasis is treated by topical treatments, severe ones are administered phototherapy or other therapies. While for severe psoriasis biologics might be more useful and beneficial with lesser risk factors.
Patients can be associated with various other health conditions along with psoriasis. The most common one is Psoriasis Arthritis with other health issues. Psoriasis doctors in Pune should keep a close watch especially on Psoriasis arthritis(PAs). If untreated, causes permanent damage to the joint.
Topical Treatments include:
- Corticosteroids treatment: Frequently prescribed for mild to moderate psoriasis conditions to relieve itch and inflammation.
- Vitamin D: Applying vitamin D cream or solution slows down cell skin growth and works in mild to moderate conditions.
- Medications: Certain medications and vitamin A derivatives prescribed reduces inflammation and delays skin growth.
- Moisturiser: Moisturiser with an ointment base helps in reducing the itch, skin Moisturiser: dryness and scaling.
- Sunlight exposure: Natural ultraviolet light reduces scaling and inflammation
- UVB: Exposure to controlled UVB doses helps in treating single and widespread psoriasis.
- Narrowband UVB: New psoriasis treatment last longer.
- Combined therapy: Some doctors combine UV and coal tar therapy called Goeckerman therapy and are more effective.
- Excimer: This light therapy is used to treat mild to moderate psoriasis conditions without causing damage to the skin.
- Alternate therapies: Alternate therapies like AloeVera, Fish oil (has Omega-3 fatty acids), and Oregon grape or barberry reduces inflammation and other Psoriasis symptoms.
Doctor in Pune might suggest one or a combination depending on the condition. It is advisable to consult your dermatologist before changing on medication or trying something new and autoimmune diseases treatment also.